You should always get a licensed plumber to install gas appliances. Accidents or leaks with gas appliances can cause tremendous damage and put peoples’ lives in danger. Safety concerns with gas appliances can be from a gas leak that causes an explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you are thinking about selling your home, a home inspector in Calgary will also make a thorough inspection of all gas lines. If issues with faulty gas appliances or gas lines are flagged up, you should get the repairs made as soon as possible.
Why Use Licensed Plumbers of Gas Installations
According to the law in Calgary regarding gas installations, you need to have permits to install gas appliances or renovate existing ones. The law states that homeowners can only apply for a gas permit if they have a gasfitter who is certified in Alberta.
Gas line leaks
Many homes in Calgary use natural gas to heat their homes because it is a cheap and efficient way to use energy. Here are a few safety tips when it comes to gas safety in the home.
- Before digging in your garden, make sure you know where gas lines run.
- If you notice a smell of rotten eggs in the home, it could be an indication of a gas leak.
- If you have a gas leak, don’t use your mobile phone or switch on any electrical appliances.
- Extinguish all flames and don’t smoke
- Get a safe distance from your home and call the emergency services.
Carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide can build up in the home if your ventilation system isn’t working properly. The first signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are flu-like symptoms along with headaches.
To prevent carbon monoxide in your home, get all your gas appliances, vents, flues, and chimneys inspected once a year.